Monday, September 28, 2015

Purse project

My newest purse was made from an old pair of pants of my husbands that later morphed into shorts.






 

I've had several people ask me to do a post on it, but sadly, I didn't take pictures as I made it. Taking pictures of each step of the things I make is still kind of new to me, and honestly, it's a pain in the butt. It's a simple project though, so I'll do my best to explain it using the finished purse. I sewed the project by hand, and it really didn't require a lot of sewing. First, take a look of the picture with the parts labeled from where they are from.


The piece I used for the main body of the purse actually has a pocket on the other side of the purse. These were carpenter pants, so there was a large pocket on each leg. I centred the existing pocket.

Next, I added another pocket. The pocket you can see in the picture was actually on the butt of the pants. I left a small trim around it. Then I stitched it only three sides, and I left the top open. This way, the pocket I added was now two pockets in one.

I then cut out a rectangle for the bottom of the purse from just an open part of the pants. I pinned it into place, and then I stitched it.

Next I did the strap from the waistband. I had cut the end of the of the waistband where there was already a button hole. I stitched it and the button into place in the middle of the purse.

It was a pretty quick project even with me doing it all by hand. It took me about an hour to do it. I also took the second back pocket, cut it out, and use it as a mini make-up bag without any other work to it.







I've been using it as my main purse for about three weeks now. It has lots of storage with one main section and three pockets. It's big enough for my mini make-up bag, my tablet, my cellphone clutch wallet, and even my headphones if I need to take them to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment