Friday, March 27, 2015

Q&A with Brooke and Natalya

This post will be another Q&A. They've just released a book too!

Meet Brooke


Brooke is an author of Contemporary Romance books, and believes that love comes in all forms. Brooke writes what she feels her fans would want to read. Love is blind, so why not write in true colors!

For more about Brooke check out her website: 
http://brookejohnsonbooks.weebly.com/

 Meet Natalya

I’m a writer and author. I live in Louisiana with my dog Napoleon. I enjoy spending as much time as possible with my three grown children and their families. I would like to welcome you to my web page. I look forward to getting to know you.

For more about Brooke check out her website:

Q&A

  1. Why did you write The Need to Touch?
(Brooke) I started writing The Need to Touch because I wanted to write a book about my friend form high school. I wanted one of the characters to be just like him. Or how I think he would have been if he lived to see his 20’s. He was 16 when he committed suicide. No one knows for sure why, but we all assume it’s because he parents went bible thumping insane when they found out he was gay. So, Ben is my tribute to my Gumby. I love you Gumby, wherever you are!
(Natalya) I joined Brooke in writing The Need to Touch. I was deeply moved by the story of her friend and am honored to be a part of this story that is a tribute to her friend.

  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned about each other when you started writing together?
    I have learned that Brooke somehow gets a lot done. Sometimes I feel like she's running circles around me.
    Natalya honestly surprised me with how fast she jumped on board with writing LGBTQ books. I was shocked because even though I knew she loved writing, I didn’t think she had it in her to write what she does and do it so damn well. And I was honored that she trusted me enough to step out of her comfort zone (which is a HUGE thing for her) and write with me.
  1. Is writing with a partner harder than writing by yourself?

The things I truly enjoy about writing with a partner are the brainstorming and bouncing ideas off of each other. I love creating the outlines and the story lines and that actual writing. The hard part is trying to coordinate or balance all the other things that go along with writing and publishing a book.
Honestly yes. I think it’s harder because I’m not just writing what I think should happen. I have to take into consideration her characters and what she wants as well. However, in the end it all works and I’ve come to love it. So much in fact.... that I have a hard time writing by myself.
  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to spend time with my children and grand-children. I enjoy crafts and sewing and I love to read, and enjoy watching movies.
I write blogs. I’m just kidding, but I feel like I’m always writing something. I love to crochet. I’m currently trying to crochet a king size afghan for my bed. I think I’ve lost my mind, but we will see.
  1. What do your families think of your writing?
I think when we first starting writing together they were a little skeptical but they've come around. They are more supportive now.
Everyone in my family is 100% on board with my writing and some of them even encourage me to write more. My mother is my biggest motivator.
  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be writers?
I've wanted to be a writer for many years but never pursued it in a serious manner until Brooke asked me to write with her. I'm glad she did because I love it.
I started writing when I was younger. I only wrote poems and it was mostly for my family. When my marriage started to fall apart and I needed something to draw the attention away from that, I started writing The Need to Touch. I never looked back.

  1. What drew you to each other?
(Natalya & Brooke) We met in a pre-algebra college class. Brooke and I ended up sitting next to each other. On the first day she gave me her phone number so we could help each other. I thought who is the person? Why are they giving me their number? But after class we started talking and immediately became friends. Then I was glad she'd given me her number. :)
I will add that by giving Natalya my number I passed that damn class and didn't help her ONE bit =) I still owe her for that! I have and always will SUCK at math.

  1. Do you have a writing ritual or system?
No, I don't, but sometimes I think maybe I should, especially on those days when I have a hard time getting started.
I have to have a candle lit to write. It helps me get into the flow of things. I eat a lot of hard and/or chewy candy when I’m writing or editing. I guess I have an oral fixation that helps me focus. I know....I know... stop laughing.

  1. What about the LGBTQ community would you like your readers to take away from your writing?
Throughout history there have always been various groups of people who've had to stand up and fight for their personal dignity, freedom, equality and respect. The LGBQ community has been fighting and continues to fight to be treated with respect, for freedom, equality, and dignity. I stand with you in your fight for these things. No one should ever feel fear, shame or anger about who they are or who they love. You are who you are and should be allowed to love whomever you choose.
That love is love. It doesn’t matter who you love. You will face the same battles as every other couple. Friends, family, money, jobs, children, houses, and the list goes on and on. At the end of the day, gender is just gender. Love who you want to love, be who you want to be. The hell with everyone else... I learned a long time ago you can’t depend on others for your happiness or you will never truly be happy.
  1. What are you working on now?
(Brooke & Natalya) We will have three books out very soon. The re-release of The Need to Touch, The Need to Forgive, and Silently Waiting will all be out shortly. We can’t say for sure but we will update everyone as much as possible. We are also in the process of working on book 3 of the Stay True Series, and another stand alone. Nothing is slowing us down now!! 

 

Blurb

The Need to Touch
Stay True Series, Book. 1 *Warning: Mature content*
You can only win someone’s heart once you’ve captured it.

Nineteen year old Ryder Harrison grew up near a small town in Montana, working on the family’s ranch and in love with his best friend, Landon Pennington. That was until his Grandfather decided he needed to go to college in California. Ryder promised his Mom before she died that he would finish his education. Staying true to his word, Ryder packs his clothes, and heads to California, confident that it would all be one big disaster. The only thing he hadn’t planned on was meeting Bentley Carter.

Twenty year old Bentley Carter has enough emotional issues to write his own ‘How to Cope’ manual. Surviving an abusive childhood, he made a personal promise to always stay true to himself, and never let emotions overrule his common sense. Content with his current life and friend with ‘benefits’, Ben is determined to not let his new roommate affect him.

Uncertain about their places in the world, and with each other, Ryder and Ben struggle to understand the person who is not what they thought they wanted, yet who they are unable to live without. Living in a sometimes cruel and unforgiving world they are determined to embrace the reality of falling in love and the challenges that follow.

Excerpt

 

We were discussing our childhoods, right Ryder?” Ethan announced with a shitty smirk. Ben’s eyes grew wide before he dropped his gaze to the table.

Ben, you okay?” I whispered, taking his hand, ignoring Ethan’s sarcastic snort.

Uh…,” Ben looked up, but not at me. I followed his gaze. Ethan was glaring at him.

I don’t talk about my childhood,” Ben mumbled, playing with his ice cream.

Why, Ben?” Ethan snapped. “You fucking told me everything about yourself, except why you did drugs and drank so much when you first came to college. You were hooked, an addict. Then I helped you stop using all that shit. I thought… it was good between us. Only, you’re scared of love. You’re afraid of rejection, so you push everyone away. You hide like a goddamned coward, yet this dumb fuck still wants to be with you.” Ethan was nearly yelling by the end of his rant. He stood abruptly, his chair clattering to the floor.

What the fuck is wrong with you?” I snapped.

He doesn’t need two best friends with benefits, Ryder,” Ethan hissed at me. “Ben, you need to fucking talk to him. I thought after what happened to me last night; you would’ve talked to Ryder. Let him in. The only thing that prevented us from getting serious was your irrational fucking fear. Don’t do this to him, Ben. Don’t string him along and make him think it’s something special if you won’t give him your heart.” He glanced at me when he finally finished.
The book can be purchased on Amazon, Smashwords, and ARe.

 http://www.amazon.com/Need-Touch-Stay-True-Book-ebook/dp/B00V6IVRHU/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1427298334&sr=1-3&keywords=The+Need+to+Touch

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/530375

https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-theneedtotouch-1768207-145.html

Like these lovely authors on FB:


https://www.facebook.com/BrookeJBreaux.Natalyaparks 

Raina Update 

 I've had the week from hell. I've had a migraine that's been making me sick. I sliced my toe open. Liz (The MC from A Broken Howl) is driving me nuts and keeps messing up the ending of the book! My children seem to playing this game where thy see just how crazy they can make me and my husband. lol. They're 8 and 10. It's like we have a couple of teens already. And our dog Assie keeps trying to eat stuff. . . like the furniture. My desktop Sky (short for Skynet) started today acting all kinds of messed up. Writing this pot on her has been a PITA. My laptop DT (Deep Thought) has been acting funny for ages. It seems I need to get the hubby to fix his brain since Sky doesn't seem to have much left in her. And now. . . I need to go clean my toe.

Monday we'll be talking with the fabulous Roz! Her book The Sisterhood just released today, and she will also be my editor on Howl. Now go like and share my FB page. . . so I can start my contest!  

Also, if you find a typo in this post, it's all Sky's fault! lol
 

2 comments:

  1. A very interesting interview, Raina. I've always been intrigued by writers choosing to work as a team... Frankly, I can't imagine doing it myself :) But I can certainly see the allure. Great post. Hope your weekend is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona, One of the reasons I wanted to interview them was because they were a team. Like you, I couldn't see writing a story with someone else. My weekend is still pretty blah. My foot hurts, and I think my desktop is having serious issues. She's very glitchy. Hope your weekend is going well!

    ReplyDelete