Monday, March 16, 2015

So busy. . . .


This will be a short post because I've been so busy. Don't worry, there will still be a trailer.

Instead of writing a long post today, I spent an hour helping my 10-year-old write a paper for her homework. Listening to her explain her word choice and the structure of her paper was adorable. Kid has a mind for writing once I get her over the fear of misspelling a word. She's dyslexic. I'm dyslexic. Misspelling words is like kinda what we do. You grab a dictionary or run spell check.

I tell her often that even famous writers have editors. She's grownup watching me edit the work of others. She's seen me at my day job tutoring college students. She knows that the key to being a good writer is revision and not spitting out perfection in a first draft.

I hate watching her let her fear limit her, but I know she'll get over it one day. We all make errors; you fix them, and then you move on. And because of the laws of the universe, I'll likely make one in this post due to the content. That's what the edit button is for. Praise be to the internet and the ability to fix typos instantly.




Okay, I promised you a book trailer. Next up will be a never before published story called “A Dose of Reality.” The background on this isn't as sad and moving as the last one. The story, however, did cause a fight in my personal life. I made the mistake of borrowing from the relationship I was in at the time. The keywords there being “at the time.” Being in a relationship with a writer comes with the unspoken agreement that anything that happens might get written about. Everyone knows that.

It was also just a little bit of dialogue that was inspired by a real conversation. I didn't see the big deal. Apparently, it was. . . .

Luckily, that's something I don't have to worry about in my current relationship, but this story was written long before I ever met my Tomcat.

It's always been one of my favorites and making the trailer was fun. Enjoy.



And that's all you get for this post. I've settled on what my first few prizes are going to be to celebrate the release of 13, and I'm excited to announce those prizes will be on-of-a-kind goodies. The only way to get them will be to win them. And that's all you're getting for now. Remember the giveaways will start once my FB page hits 500 “likes,” and I'll likely keep them up weekly until the launch party of 13. So not only does that mean that the faster I get “likes” the faster there will be free stuff to win, but it also means that there will be more free stuff. Yes, this is shameless. I'm a writer; it's what we do.

2 comments:

  1. A brilliant insight into what we do. I've been caught by the borrowing thing as well... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well in his defense, it was stuff said in couples counselling. lol. It wasn't like overly personal crap. It was just an example of the random stupid crap couples fight over. :) He also didn't like that I worked on it in the waiting room. . . .

    ReplyDelete