Friday, December 11, 2015

Q&A with Samantha Chase







Meet Samantha Chase

 

New York Times and USA Today Bestseller/contemporary romance writer Samantha Chase released her debut novel, Jordan's Return, in November 2011. Although she waited until she was in her 40's to publish for the first time, writing has been a lifelong passion. Her motivation to take that step was her students: teaching creative writing to elementary age students all the way up through high school and encouraging those students to follow their writing dreams gave Samantha the confidence to take that step as well.


With twenty-three titles currently to her name, she has no plans to slow down. The success of the Montgomery Brothers series has her working on six new titles in that collection as well as two new exciting series set to start popping up on bookshelves in 2015. You won't find her books with the erotica or paranormal titles, all of her works are pure contemporary romances.

When she's not working on a new story, she spends her time reading contemporary romances, blogging, playing way too many games of Scrabble on Facebook and spending time with her husband of 25 years and their two sons in North Carolina.

What inspired you to become a teacher?

I was homeschooling my son and was part of a small group of families who did a co-op together. One mom taught science, the other did math and so I said I would do creative writing – since that was something I felt that I was pretty good at. As the years went by, my classes grew and I sort of kept moving up with my students so I’ve taught from 4th grade through 12th and loved it!

What are some books or authors that you recommend your creative writing students read?

That’s a tough one because I am a firm believer in reading what interests you. That can also cause a problem because kids will always try and say that nothing interests them but primarily, find a genre that you like. It’s been so long since I’ve taught that I’m completely out of the YA loop, but I would still say the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games – books that show an entirely different kind of world. Books that would stretch your imagination.

What writing advice do you give your students the most?

To not be so hard on themselves and not expect their work to be perfect. So many times a student would not want to hand in their work or share their work because they thought it wasn’t perfect. It really never is – especially to the writer! So I encourage them to share their work and be open to brainstorming with others.

What's your writing process like?

I am all over the place! Sometimes I plan/plot, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I have a book in my head for a long time before I write it, others it just comes to me and I start writing and don’t stop until I’m done. I can write two to three books at a time – although I try to avoid doing that. I have an office in my house that is my domain and it’s filled with things I enjoy and love to look at and when the mood strikes, I sit down and write.

What made decide to work in the contemporary romance genre?

I fell in love with reading it. It’s my favorite genre to read and that makes it fun to write.

Have your books required any research? If so, how did you go about it?

Not a whole lot. My stories tend to take place in places that I’ve been to. I did set one in Maine and it had been YEARS since I had been there so I sort of did an online refresher and my latest book, “I’ll Be There” had its origin in Alaska. I had never been there before so I had to really do my research on that one.

What do you feel makes a good story?

Characters that are well-defined – they literally jump off the page. If you don’t flesh out your characters, they’re always going to feel flat – to you and the reader. So you need to work on creating good characters first. And for me personally, I enjoy a fast-paced story. I don’t like to get bogged down in a lot of descriptive writing where it takes the readers pages upon pages upon pages to get from one scene to another with no dialogue. You want to keep your reader interested.

What's your writing space like?

I LOVE my office. I have a wall of bookcases that have all of my paperbacks on them and then gifts from readers and examples of swag I’ve made over the years. On the walls are posters of some of my newest book covers, pictures from events I’ve gone to and I framed the cover of RT Book Reviews Magazine that I was on the cover of. My husband bought me a fabulous chandelier for my birthday that he just hung so it’s a little like a princess room for me!

What are you working on now?

I currently have a lot that I’m working on. I’m doing edits on a couple of books, I’m writing a novella for an upcoming secret project and just starting my next book for my publisher which will be part of a brand new series!

What projects are you working on next?

There are two more books in the Shaughnessy series that I’ll be writing this year along with three indie books that will be coming out throughout the year. All in all, you’ll be seeing releases from me almost every month in 2016!



More on Samantha:

 

 

To be featured in a Q&A, please contact me by using the form on the right.

 

1 comment: