Thursday, May 31, 2018

Quotes on my Mind - Living a Life being devoured



"Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?” 
― Friedrich Nietzsche

I likely read Nietzsche far too young. I likely read a lot of things far too young. His work though has always stuck with me.

This is something I find myself often explorer in my writing. What do you do when you encounter monsters? Fighting can mean becoming a monster yourself. Not fighting back can mean pieces of yourself being ripped out in tiny chunks.

In Howl, which I swear will be fully finished one of these days, this is something I deal with in Liz. She goes through both of these in different ways. Becoming the monster her father wanted her to be. Letting denying her wolf quietly devour her.

I've lived life letting myself be quietly devoured. It's more horrifying than any monster that I could ever dream up. Letting yourself become a monster, even to fight one, can be horrifying as well. I think we've all had those moments when we can't meet our own eyes in the mirror. It's a fight sometimes of being who we want to be and who we have to be.

In the end, I firmly believe that true horror lives inside our heads. It's something that I'm working on right now for a poetry submission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment