Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Webcomic Love - How to be a Werewolf


So today is my birthday. I'm old. And now, to the webcomic review!


I have a major soft spot for werewolves, and this webcomic's protagonist is a werewolf with a lot going on and a very likable personality. Be sure to check out How to be a Werewolf.


The main protagonist is Malaya Walters. She's a werewolf, but she's not really all that great at being a werewolf. It's not her fault though. She was bitten as a child. Her family is supportive, but there is only so much a human family can do to help support you while also worrying about getting eaten. Mal is a wonderful and caring young woman, but she's also had to live a life of strict control to keep those around her safe. Mal's life and the story take off when a strange guy shows up.

And just so there aren't any confusions. This isn't a love interest for Mal. Artist Shawn Lenore is very clear about Mal's status in the comic's FAQ: "My game plan is to keep Mal unattached. You’re welcome to imagine her with whoever, but the story I’ve always wanted to read was one featuring a female protagonist who just exists. She’s figuring out her life and her problems and her fears while growing into a stronger, better person. That’ll remain my focus." This is something I really like to see. Not that there is anything wrong with a romance plot, but it's nice to see a single, young and female protagonist where love isn't a huge part of her life. 


Mal, of course, isn't the only character. That'd be boring. There are a diverse cast and a good mix of LGBTQ characters, which I also enjoy. Besides Mal, my other favorite character has to be Aubrey. 




She's still a bit of a mystery, and I don't know if you could really label her one of the "good guys." She's really interesting as a character, and even when she does things I don't agree with in the story, I feel sympathy for her. She's also a body image that you don't often see in comics, so that kind of adds to the diversity of this comic for me. 

Since the comic has been going on since 2015, there are enough pages to keep you entertained for a few reads before you get current. At the time of me writing this post, there are 8 chapters. The plot is just now starting to get really complex as some of the mysteries are answered. The world the artist is building though seems to leave openings for lots of new plots. I'm hoping this will be a comic I get to read for years. 

For more on this comic, check out the artist on Pinterest, Instagram, Twiter, Tumbler, or help support the comic on Patreon

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with this webcomic in any way. I'm just a fan sharing a comic that I love. If there's a comic you think I should check out, feel free to let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment